TEST POSTS -MEDICAL CARES's 70th ANNIVERSARY
We are committed to improving the nation’s health through practice, research, education and policy action. The Medical Care Section has generated several APHA presidents, and our journal, Medical Care, is the premier clinical health services research journal in the world.
We explore the organization and practice of medical care in the U.S. and elsewhere as well as the social, economic and environmental conditions that influence health.
We advocate for strengthening and assuring the conditions that preserve and enhance health as well as a medical care system that assures high-quality care, accessible preventive medicine and cultural sensitivity for all.
We see this as attainable through equitable public financing, careful monitoring and feedback of performance, and wise allocation of resources under public leadership.
News and Events
Featured committee: Justice-Impacted and Incarcerated Health
Dedicated to advancing the multiple public health areas intersecting with justice systems. Key topic areas: disparities, human rights, behavioral health, chronic care, transitional care, and special populations. The JIIH committee maintains a listserv of over 200 members and experts issuing periodic newsletters to announce Upcoming Events, Articles and Resources, and Notes from Members. For APHA Annual Meetings, JIIH distributes a list of Sections seeking Abstracts in Key Topic Areas and a user friendly Directory of JIIH Sessions of Interest by date, time and location. The listserv is also a useful networking tool, connecting those looking for experts in their regions or best practice guidelines.
- AETC National Resource Center Health Disparities Collaborative Webinar: Addressing Health Disparities Among Incarcerated and Recently Incarcerated Populations webinar recording
- Community Oriented Correctional Health Services promotes health care connectivity between jails and the communities in which they reside and highlights recent developments impacting public health and public safety
- The Health Resources Services Administration’s Special Projects of National Significance publishes training manuals, curricula and webinars on key topic areas through its TARGET Center’s iHiP Integrating HIV Innovative Practices website
- The National Center for Mental Health and Juvenile Justice Collaborative for Change offers information, technical assistance and support services on mental health and juvenile justice topics.
- Reentry Central: The National Website on Reentry for news and information on the subject of reentry and related criminal justice issues.
News and Publications:
- A Minnesota proposal aims to create a recovery center or those living with mental illness who have been arrested, as a possible diversion from jail.
- Health Outcomes for HIV-Infected Persons Released from the New York City Jail System with a Transitional Care Coordination Plan by Paul A. Teixeira et. al. assessing the 6-month outcomes of HIV patients who received a transitional care plan before release from jail.
- Consumer Rights Come to Jail: How the Affordable Care Act Changes the Rights of Individuals Pending Disposition, COCHS’ Daniel J. Mistak, describes how the ACA endows individuals pending disposition with new consumer rights — and the implications of those rights.
- Development of a Performance-Based RFP for Correctional Health Care Services in Vermont: COCHS’ Ben Watts shares a case study of how a state correctional health care system created a new performance-based contractual model in alignment with state and federal health reforms.
- ‘If They Hand You A Paper, You Sign It’: A Call to End the Sterilization of Women in Prison
- Reproductive Injustice: The State of Reproductive Health Care for Women in New York State Prisons
- Violations of the law against shackling during birth